Indian Motorcycles has unveiled the newly developed liquid-cooled PowerPlus engine to set a new standard for American V-Twin performance.
New Indian engine introduced: PowerPlus
The engine has 1,769 cc and will first propel the new Indian Challenger, an all-new, fixed-fairing bagger that utilises Indian Motorcycle’s state-of-the-art technology to become the highest-performing American V-twin ever developed.
With the name PowerPlus, one would like to pay tribute to the legendary Indian PowerPlus (1916-1924).
The 60 ° V-Twin delivers 122 PS (120,6 hp / 90.1 kW) at 5,500 rpm. The maximum torque of 178 Nm is at 3,800 rpm. The engine rotates up to 6,500 rpm.
“We challenge our engineers with the notion that anything less than best-in-class design and performance will simply not get it done, and it’s clear with this new engine that they have delivered on that high standard,” said Steve Menneto, Indian Motorcycle President. “Countless hours were spent in design, development and testing to ensure this is the best liquid-cooled V-twin ever developed, and I could not be prouder of our team and this incredible motor.”
The PowerPlus has features of the liquid-cooled 1,133cc Scout engine, with overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder. The newer engine, however, put more emphasis on a huge torque and maximum power output over the entire speed range.
It also got a six-speed gearbox with overdrive, an assist clutch, and three driving modes.
“You simply cannot deliver the ultimate bagger without an engine that stands head and shoulders above anything else in its class, and that was the motivation behind the PowerPlus,” said John Callahan, Indian Motorcycle Vice President, Engineering. “We developed the most sophisticated V-twin powerplant in the industry, and then we spent month after month, hour upon hour, putting it through the most intense paces to ensure it could take whatever we threw at it. The end result is something truly special.”
Indian Motorcycle PowerPlus Engine Specifications:
- Engine Displacement: 1769 cc (108 ci)
- Power: 120.6 hp / 90 kW at 5,500 RPM
- Torque: 178 Nm / 131.3 ft-lbs at 3,800 RPM
- Maximum Engine Speed: 6,500 RPM
- Architecture: 60-degree V-twin, liquid-cooled powerplant
- Crankcase: Unit design featuring a high capacity semi-dry sump oil system
- Timing System: Overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder
- Fuel System: Electronic fuel injection. 52mm dual bore throttle bodies
- Compression Ratio: 11:1
- Transmission: Six-speed with true overdrive, constant mesh
- Clutch: Assist clutch
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Audience Rating: Freigegeben ab 18 Jahren
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2021-03-02 / *Affiliate Links / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API