The Modern Classic Bike Speed Twin gets a comprehensive update for 2021. More power, better handling, more technology, more custom style and more details – Triumph describes the new Speed Twin as an evolution in every dimension.
Engine and performance data of the Speed Twin 2021
The high-power 1,200cc Bonneville Twin engine has been significantly revised and now meets Euro5 regulations. Power has increased by 3 PS to 100 PS, which is reached at 7,250 rpm.
The engine has been tuned for more power in the mid-range, and maximum torque of 112 Nm is now reached 500 rpm earlier, so at 4,250 rpm.
A 17-percent reduction in inertia has been achieved thanks to the new and lighter crankshaft and alternator. This also results in better responsiveness. The engine revs up faster and also 500 revs higher than before. Maintenance is specified every 16,000 km.
Ergonomics and handling
The Speed Twin is said to offer a balanced, intuitive and confidence-inspiring ride. The seat height is 809 mm. The Roadster footpegs have been mounted 38 mm further forward and 4 mm lower compared to the Thruxton. Together with the narrow crotch arch and tapered handlebars, the result is a relaxed riding position which also aids handling.
Chassis, brakes and tires
The new Speed Twin is equipped with a 43 upside-down fork from Marzocchi, which has cartridge damping. At the rear, a stereo shock absorbs, and the spring preload is adjustable.
Braking is at the front with Brembo 4-piston M50 radial monobloc calipers and two 320mm discs.
The cast aluminum wheels in 12-spoke design have a size of 17 inches and are equipped with Metzeler Racetec RR tires from the factory.
Equipment of the Speed Twin 2021
The ride-by-wire allows the three riding modes Rain, Road and Sport. The riding modes affect throttle response and traction control. One can change the selected mode while riding at the touch of a button. If desired, the traction control can also be completely deactivated.
LED technology is used for the lighting all around. A daytime running light has been integrated into the headlights.
The driver receives driving information via a 3D instrument. Settings can also be made there via scroll keys and a digital menu system. A gear indicator, two trip meters, fuel level, range, average and current fuel consumption and, optionally, tire pressure are displayed there.
Character and style
Details and surfaces have been stylishly matched, giving the bike a character all of its own. The manifold is made of brushed stainless steel. The fenders, mirror trim, brackets and heel guards are brushed aluminum. The headlight bracket was anodized, the headlight housing painted
Three paint finishes are offered, the new Red Hopper, Matt Storm Grey or Jet Black.
Triumph has over 50 accessories in its range to customize the new Speed Twin. Here, however, there is not only something for the appearance, also the functionality or safety can be adapted. For example, there are LED multifunction turn signals, stitched seat benches, a wide variety of luggage options, heated grips and more.
At dealers, the new Speed Twin will be available from July 2021.
Fact sheet on the Triumph Speed Twin 2021:
Higher performance – Significant engine update
- 3 hp more peak power, now 100 hp at 7,250 rpm
- More power and torque in the mid-range
- Peak torque is now lower in the rev range, at 112 Nm at 4,250 rpm
- Better responsiveness with 17% less inertia in the crank train
- Lower emissions and full Euro 5 compliance
- Long maintenance intervals of 16,000 km
- Even more precise, agile and dynamic handling of a modern roadster
- New, higher-quality Marzocchi upside-down fork with cartridge damping
- New, higher-quality Brembo M50 radial monobloc brake calipers
- New, lighter cast aluminum wheels
- Comfortable, collected riding position for a confidence-inspiring, intuitive feel
Improved driving modes: road, rain and sport
- High specification of standard equipment:
- ABS and disengageable traction control
- LED lighting with daytime running lights
- Torque-assisted clutch
- USB charging port under the seat
More premium style and details
- New, elegant 12-spoke wheels
- New, brushed and upswept stainless steel dual mufflers
- New anodized headlight and fender mounts
- New, distinctive tank graphics and three modern color options
- Easy to customize with over 50 TRIUMPH Genuine Accessories: for added style, practicality and safety
TRIUMPH Speed Twin – Technical data and specifications – as at 26.05.2021
Engine and power transmission
- Type parallel twin, liquid cooled, 8 valves, SOHC, 270° crank pin offset
- Displacement 1,200 cm³
- Bore/stroke 97.6 x 80.0 mm
- Compression ratio 12.1:1
- Power 100 hp (73.6 kW) @ 7,250 rpm
- Torque 112 Nm @ 4,250 rpm
- Fuel supply Electronic, sequential multipoint fuel injection
- Exhaust system Brushed 2-in-2 stainless steel exhaust system
- Final drive O-ring chain
- Clutch Torque-assisted multi-plate oil bath clutch
- Transmission 6 speed
- Frame Steel center tube frame with twin crossmembers
- Swingarm Aluminum twin-arm swingarm
- Front wheel Steel spoke wheel 17 x 3.5 inch
- Rear wheel Steel spoke wheel 17 x 5.00 inch
- Front tire 120/70 ZR17
- Rear tire 160/60 ZR17
- Front suspension 43 mm Marzocchi USD partial fork, 120 mm travel
- Rear suspension stereo struts with adjustable spring base, 120 mm travel
- Front brake 320 mm double disc, Brembo M50 radial four-piston monobloc calipers, ABS
- Rear brake 220 mm disc, Nissin twin-piston floating caliper, ABS
Dimensions and weights
- Length 2,099 mm
- Width (handlebar grips) 778 mm
- Height (without mirrors) 1,097 mm
- Seat height 809 mm
- Wheelbase 1,413 mm
- Steering head angle 22.3
- Caster 91.5 mm
- Weight ready to ride/full 216 kg
- Fuel tank capacity 14.5 L
- Instruments Display/functions Multifunctional LCD instrument cluster with analog speedometer and tachometer and multifunctional LCD displays
- Fuel consumption
- Average fuel consumption according to homologation: 5.1 L /100 km
- Homologated according to EURO 5, CO2 emissions: 116.0 g/km
- (The figures for CO2 emissions and fuel consumption are based on EU Directive 168/2013 and specific test conditions and serve as a benchmark. Consumption under real driving conditions may differ).
- First inspection after 800 km, thereafter every 16,000 km or once a year.
- 4 years (2 years manufacturer’s warranty and 2 years follow-up warranty without mileage limit according to the current conditions of CG Car-Garantie Versicherungs-AG.) plus 24 months mobility warranty