Honda has had the dual clutch transmission (DTC) on the European market since 2010. 140,000 motorcycles equipped with this technology have been sold in Europe alone. Ten different models were equipped with this unique technology.
The first motorcycle with DCT in Europe was the VFR1200F Sports Tourer. DTC is an automatic transmission. The technology makes it possible to shift through the gears on the motorcycle without using the (non-existent) clutch and without the need to interrupt traction. The gears are selected automatically by the transmission control unit.
Automatic transmissions are widely used in the automotive industry. For motorcycles, only electric motorcycles and various Honda models are equipped with them.
Even if some drivers shy away from this technology and prefer to shift gears themselves, the equipment variants with DCT accounted for more than half of the sales of the ten possible models. 45% of the Africa Twin, 52% of the NC750X and 67% of the Gold Wings were sold with DTC, just to name a few examples.
Honda published an interview with DCT chief engineer Dai Arai, in which he explains that several years before the introduction of DCT the technology had been worked on and the development was not without obstacles.
“Everything on the development of the very first DCT for the VFR1200F was a real struggle. No-one had ever done it before, so it was so difficult from both the hardware and software point of view”
Since then, DCT has been continuously developed. “One of the first big steps was the automatic return to Automatic mode if you used the manual triggers as an override to select a gear,” he said. “Later, we refined the way that the throttle ‘blip’s on the downshift to accurately match the revs and make those shifts really smooth. (…) We also introduced the ‘Adaptive Clutch Capability Control’ which uses the electronic control of the DCT system to ‘slip’ the clutch a little when the throttle position is changed initially from a fully closed or fully opened position.”
Arai did not reveal how the technology would be further developed, but he mentioned that he would like to see the technology used in Dakar.
- The Bike Shield muss sicher im Boden verankert werden. Einfach zu handhabende Schutz- und Abdeckungsmöglichkeit mit einem Design, das sich wie ein Zelt als Motorradgarage um Ihr Motorrad legt und es...
- 1 Jahr Garantie. 16 Quadratrohre, eine Bodenplatte und ein Verriegelungssystem, alle mit Galvanisierung, sorgen dafür, dass Ihr Motorrad sicher geschützt ist.
- 100 % wasserdicht, besonders dicke Polyurethanbeschichtung auf der Innenseite mit einer Wassersäule von 2000 mm. Außenseite mit stark wasserabweisenden Eigenschaften und Schutz vor schädlicher...
- Um Feuchtigkeit aus der Motorradgarage abzuführen, ist sie mit Belüftungsöffnungen ausgestattet.
- Praktisch - kein Kontakt von Auspuff und Abdeckung, einfach parken und abdecken, alles in nur drei Sekunden.
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2021-12-01 / *Affiliate Links / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API