Design and technology
The aesthetic design of the R 18 Roctane combines classic elements with modern technology to create an overall concept that aims to impress with its design language and rear section in the so-called “streamlining design”.
The heart of the monster – the ‘Big Boxer
The heart of the R 18 Roctane is the “Big Boxer”, the most powerful two-cylinder boxer engine BMW has ever built in series production. With a displacement of 1802 cc, the engine delivers 91 hp (67 kW, 89.75 hp) at 4,750 rpm. Between 2,000 and 4,000 rpm, over 150 Nm of torque is constantly available, ensuring powerful acceleration. The engine, finished in Avus Black Metallic Matt and with high-gloss black covers, is complemented by the exhaust system and star nuts in Dark Chrome, giving the entire vehicle a dark and rugged character. And for those who prefer a slightly more throttled power, a 35-kW version is available as an optional factory option.
Chassis and braking system
At the heart of the chassis is a double-loop tubular steel frame that continues BMW’s long-standing tradition. The rear swingarm with enclosed axle drive in a rigid-frame look is also made to a similar pattern. The R 18 Roctane uses a telescopic fork with fork tubes and a direct-link cantilever strut with travel-dependent damping and adjustable spring preload to ensure superior wheel control and high suspension comfort. The R 18 Roctane is equipped with dual disc brakes at the front and single disc brakes at the rear.
Wheels and seating position
The R 18 Roctane is equipped with alloy wheels measuring 3.5 x 21 inches at the front and 5.5 x 18 inches at the rear. The footpegs on the R 18 Roctane are in the casual “mid-mounted footpeg” position, which is typical of BMW and is intended to provide a relaxed and rider-friendly riding position.
Equipment and additional features
The R 18 Roctane is completed with attention-grabbing details such as the side cover with emblem. Modern LED lighting technology is given a classic interpretation and is said to provide riders with excellent visibility of the road. For even better road illumination when cornering, adaptive cornering lights are also available as an optional extra.
For added comfort on longer tours, panniers painted in the vehicle color and a windshield with auxiliary headlights and pendant-mounted turn signals are available as Original BMW Motorrad accessories. The R 18 Roctane is painted in black as standard, with the special colors Mineral Gray Metallic Matt and Manhattan Metallic Matt as additional options.
For even more comfort and convenience, the keyless ride function allows ignition on/off to be activated quite simply by radio. Reverse assist, Hillstart Control and heated grips are also available as optional extras.
Ride modes and safety features
The R 18 Roctane offers three driving modes as standard: “Rain,” “Roll” and “Rock,” which allow the driving experience to be customized. Automatic Stability Control (ASC) is also included as standard for added driving safety. In addition, the R 18 Roctane is equipped with engine drag torque control (MSR).
Design elements and origin
The R 18 Roctane is reminiscent of classic motorcycles such as the BMW R 5 in many details. Elements such as the double-loop frame, the drop tank or the open-running propshaft are a direct reference to the legendary boxer from 1936. The headlight with integrated, classically drawn round instrument is another reminiscence of the legendary R 5. As confirmation of its origin, the R 18 Roctane bears the “BERLIN BUILT” lettering in the dial – it is manufactured at the BMW Motorrad plant in Berlin-Spandau.
Customization and conversion
The R 18 Roctane shares the conversion-friendly architecture of the entire R 18 family, allowing for easy customizing and optimal individualization. The valve covers and the so-called “hero chest” of the engine (engine housing cover) are designed to sit outside the oil chamber and are therefore easy to change.
The new BMW R 18 Roctane is a combination of modern technology, classic design and authentic materials that offers a unique riding experience in custom bagger style. With its powerful performance, inspiring design and high level of customizability, it is a worthy addition to the BMW R 18 family.
Highlights of the new BMW R 18 Roctane:
- Iconic style through modern technology and authentic materials.
- Largest BMW boxer engine ever with 1 802 cm3 displacement.
- Output 67 kW (91 hp) at 4 750 min-1, max. torque 158 Nm at 3 000 min-1.
- Over 150 Nm available at all times from 2 000 to 4 000 min-1.
- Open-running cardan drive based on the classic model.
- Exhaust system and star nuts in dark chrome.
- Elaborately manufactured double-loop tubular steel frame.
- Rear swingarm with enclosed axle drive in rigid frame look.
- Telescopic fork with fork tubes and cantilever shock absorber with travel-dependent damping.
- Coherent ergonomics with high handlebars for relaxed riding and optimum control.
- Front and rear disc brakes and cast alloy wheels in 21 inch front and 18 inch rear.
- Side cover with emblem.
- Headlight housing with integrated classic round instrument.
- State-of-the-art LED lighting technology interpreted in a classic way.
- Adaptive bend lighting for even better road illumination when cornering as optional equipment ex works.
- Keyless Ride for convenient function activation by radio (ignition on/off).
- Steering lock by hand / lock on right-hand steering tube.
- Case lock cylinder by hand.
- Three driving modes plus ASC and MSR as standard.
- Reversing aid for comfortable maneuvering and Hill Start Control for easy hill starts as factory options.
- Heated grips, DWA, RDC and 35 kW version as factory options.
- Extensive range of optional extras and original BMW Motorrad accessories as well as a casual Ride & Style collection.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Dani Pedrosa Pedrosa (Actor)
- Santi Baró (Director) - Guille Cascante (Producer)
- Audience Rating: Freigegeben ab 6 Jahren
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2023-12-06 / *Affiliate Links / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API