With the R 18, BMW enters the cruiser segment and, according to its own statements, brings a motorcycle that is technically and in terms of form completely in the tradition of historic BMW motorcycles.
The essentials should be brought into focus again – the puristic, the no-frills technology and the boxer engine. BMW has paired classic design with modern technology to create a sophisticated but also emotional driving experience.
The new Big Boxer was introduced time ago. It is a completely newly developed two-cylinder with 1.802cc, 67 kW (90 HP) and 158 Nm. At speeds between 2,000 and 4,000 rpm there are permanently over 150 Nm.
Double loop tubular steel frame
With the construction of a double-loop tubular steel frame, BMW is building on a long tradition of this frame design. Attention to detail and high manufacturing quality should be recognizable through barely perceptible details such as welded connections between steel pipes and cast or forged parts.
The rear swing arm was also made in a comparable way and is framed by the frame with a screw connection.
Brakes and chassis
Electronic suspension options were deliberately omitted for the suspension elements. The central spring strut and the telescopic fork are designed to provide superior wheel guidance and attractive suspension comfort with travel-dependent damping and adjustable spring preload.
As with the legendary BMW R 5, the standpipes of the telescopic fork are clad with fork sleeves. The stanchions have a diameter of 49 mm and the spring travel is 120 mm at the front and 90 mm at the rear.
The brakes are applied with double disc brakes and four-piston fixed calipers at the front.
The driving position is based on a so-called “mid mounted footpeg” position of the footrests. This means that the feet are positioned classically behind the cylinders, which is typical of BMW and also enables a relaxed and active sitting position for the best possible vehicle control.
There will be three driving modes as standard, “Rain”, “Rock” and “Roll”. A (switchable) stability control (ASC) should provide more driving safety. Engine drag torque control (MSR) is also part of the standard equipment.
There is an optional reversing aid or the Hill Start Control function for easy starting on the mountain.
The lighting is based on classic interpreted LED technology. Adaptive headlights are available as special equipment.
Classic round shapes were chosen for the instruments. The tachometer is analog. The indicator lights have been integrated so that you cannot see them when they are not lit.
As is now the case with many BMW models, Keyless Ride is used. So you don’t have to put a key in the ignition lock anymore, it’s right to carry it with you.
Special model right from the start of sales
From the market launch of the BMW R 18 there will also be a special model, the “R 18 First Edition”. It comes with a special equipment and in classic black lacquer with double lining. Many surfaces have been chrome-plated. Seat badge and chrome clasp “First Edition” on the side covers are among the highlights.
Customizing as an important part
The architecture of the BMW R 18 is very easy to convert. BMW already paid attention to this in the conception phase. Accordingly, e.g. the rear frame or the paint set can be easily removed.
The interfaces for the hydraulic lines of the brake and clutch were designed in such a way that problem-free mounting of higher or lower links in connection with suitable lines is possible.
The valve cover (cylinder head covers) and the hero breast (engine housing cover) are designed so that they sit outside the oil chamber and are easy to change.
BMW offers a wide range of equipment ex works to customize the R 18 according to your own wishes. At the time of the market launch, there were two design collections that were designed with Roland Sands Design. The “Machined” and 2-Tone-Black “collections offer various aluminum milled parts.
BMW also works with other well-known suppliers. So there is e.g. Accessories from Mustang Seats or Vance & Hines.
Availability and price
The BMW R 18 should be in the sales rooms from autumn 2020. The basic price is € 22,800 in Germany
The highlights of the new BMW R 18:
- Iconic style through modern technology and authentic materials.
- Largest BMW boxer engine ever with a displacement of 1 802 cm3.
- Power 67 kW (91 hp) at 4 750 min-1, max. Torque 158 Nm at 3,000 min-1.
- Above 150 Nm available at any time from 2,000 to 4,000 rpm.
- Open cardan drive based on the classic model.
- Elaborately manufactured double-loop tubular frame made of steel.
- Rear wheel swing arm with framed axle drive in rigid frame optics.
- Telescopic fork with fork sleeves and cantilever strut with travel-dependent damping.
- Harmonious ergonomics for relaxed driving and optimal control.
- Front and rear disc brakes and wire-spoke wheels.
- State-of-the-art LED lighting technology interpreted in a classic way.
- Adaptive cornering lights for even better road illumination when cornering as optional equipment ex works.
- Classically drawn round instrument with integrated display.
- Keyless ride for convenient radio function activation.
- Three driving modes as well as ASC and MSR as standard.
- Reversing aid for comfortable maneuvering and Hill Start Control for easy starting on the mountain as optional equipment from the factory.
- The R 18 First Edition: Exclusive look in paint and chrome.
- Extensive program of special equipment and original BMW motorcycle accessories as well as a casual ride & style collection.
BMW R 18 engine
- Displacement cm3 / cui 1.802 / 110
- Bore / stroke mm 107.1 / 100
- Power kW / PS 67/91
- at speed min – 1 4,750
- Nm torque Nm 158
- at speed min – 1 3,000
- Type air / oil-cooled two-cylinder four-stroke boxer engine
- Number of cylinders 2
- Compression / fuel 9.6: 1, super unleaded (95‒98 RON)
- Valve / gas control OHV
- Valves per cylinder 4
- Ø inlet / outlet mm 41.2 / 35.0
- Ø throttle valve mm 48
- BMS-O motor control
- Emission control regulated 3-way catalytic converter, emission standard EU-5
- Alternator W 600
- Battery V / Ah 12/26 maintenance-free
- Headlamp dipped beam LED with projection module, high beam LED with projection module
- Starter kW 1.5
Power transmission gear
- Clutch Hydraulically operated single-plate dry clutch
- Gearbox claw-shifted six-speed gearbox
- Primary ratio 1.16
- Gear ratio translation
- I 2,438
- II 1,696
- III 1,296
- IV 1.065
- V 0.903
- VI 0.784
- Rear wheel drive cardan shaft
- Ratio 3.091
- Frame type steel double loop tubular frame
- Führung Front wheel guide telescopic fork, standpipe diameter 49 mm
- Cantilever rear wheel guide
- Total travel front / rear mm 120/90
- Caster mm 150.0
- Stand Wheelbase mm 1,731
- Steering head angle ° 57.3
- Brakes front double disc brake Ø 300 mm, rear single disc brake Ø 300 mm
- ABS BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (partial integral)
- Wheels wire-spoke wheels
- front 3.5 x 19 “
- rear 5.0 x 16 “
- Tires front 120/70 R 19 or B 19 (depending on manufacturer), rear 180/65 B 16
mass and weight
- Overall length mm 2,440
- Overall width with mirrors mm 964
- Seat height mm 690
- DIN empty weight, ready to drive kg 345
- Total weight kg 560
- tank capacity l 16
- Fuel consumption (WMTC) l / 100 km 5.6
- CO2 emissions (WMTC) g / km 129
- 0‒100 km / h s 4.8
- Top speed km / h> 180
- The Bike Shield muss sicher im Boden verankert werden. Einfach zu handhabende Schutz- und Abdeckungsmöglichkeit mit einem Design, das sich wie ein Zelt als Motorradgarage um Ihr Motorrad legt und es...
- 1 Jahr Garantie. 16 Quadratrohre, eine Bodenplatte und ein Verriegelungssystem, alle mit Galvanisierung, sorgen dafür, dass Ihr Motorrad sicher geschützt ist.
- 100 % wasserdicht, besonders dicke Polyurethanbeschichtung auf der Innenseite mit einer Wassersäule von 2000 mm. Außenseite mit stark wasserabweisenden Eigenschaften und Schutz vor schädlicher...
- Um Feuchtigkeit aus der Motorradgarage abzuführen, ist sie mit Belüftungsöffnungen ausgestattet.
- Praktisch - kein Kontakt von Auspuff und Abdeckung, einfach parken und abdecken, alles in nur drei Sekunden.
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2020-06-03 / *Affiliate Links / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API